The Victorian Government is funding the establishment of a Centre of research excellence in Climate Change Adaptation.
The centre will bring together expertise in social, economic and biophysical science to work together on climate change adaptation research, and provide cross-disciplinary advice to the government and the community in this important public policy area.
Duties / Accountabilities
- Provide leadership to, and manage the delivery of a high quality, effective and relevant research program
- Create a stimulating and inclusive intellectual environment
- Liaise with government policy makers and engage with Victorian communities to ensure effective design and uptake of research
- Lead the development of a funding strategy and actively seek research funding opportunities at state and national levels
- Build and manage relationships with universities and other associated institutions on the research program and its administration
- Manage public relations for the centre, oversee publications and represent the centre at public forums
- Manage the centre’s administration – staffing, budgets/ business plan and associated reporting
Key Selection Criteria
- A distinguished research record in a field relevant to the centre’s research agenda and demonstrated high-calibre leadership capabilities
- Proven track record of leadership in managing complex research programs and in the design and uptake of research products
- Demonstrated ability to build research collaborations between researchers, partners and stakeholders, preferably across disciplines and across a number of institutions
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, with the stature and expertise to build top-level relationships across government, industry and the adaptation research community
- Commitment to excellence, results and people, with a collaborative, non-adversarial style and seasoned commercial and managerial skills
- Demonstrated success in identifying opportunities and gaining funding for research from a variety of sources, including Commonwealth, State, and the private sector
- Detailed knowledge of current issues in climate change research, particularly in relation to adaptation research in a Victorian context
Terms and conditions of appointment to be consistent with and negotiated through the relevant associated university.
An attractive remuneration package will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
For further information contact John Houlihan, Department of Sustainability and Environment, on (03) 9637 9051.
To apply email your application to email@example.com
Closing date for applications is Sunday 8 February 2008.