Virtual Expeditions is motivated by a desire to open up the walls of the classroom to the global community. VX supports online teaching and learning by:
- Selecting, organizing and annotating a set of the most relevant online resources.
- Transforming the process of surfing the web into engaging learning activities.
- Offering an online library complete with links, selected articles, interviews, maps, and charts.
- Providing access to a network of guides and mentors who add their voices and knowledge to the expeditions.
- Offering a school-to-school directory that allows you and your students to connect with peers around the world.
We consider Virtual Expeditions a “work in progress” and an experiment in online learning. Among our goals for the program:
- To make available innovative curriculum resources that meet national standards and encourage best practices in teaching and learning.
- To develop and test student-centered, project-based learning activities that utilize the World Wide Web.
- To give students meaningful opportunities to interact with guides, mentors and resource organizations.
- To provide a channel for students and teachers from different schools to communicate and collaborate with one another.
- To foster an understanding of how to use the Internet for research, communication and action.
We invite your feedback and ideas as the program develops