Follow Up in Classroom
A trip on Pegasus is likely to stir some reaction, positive and negative alike, especially when the weather is bad! There may be any number of questions and thoughts we would be happy to provide assistance with. You can contact the Pegasus Project via their current website
Below is a list of books and resources that might be useful in follow ups and for future sailing trips:
- California Department of Boating and Waterways; Boating Safely Coast Guard Auxiliary, National Board Inc.: Washington DC, ISBN 0-930028-05-8.
- Kramer K S and M D May (eds.) (1993) Teaching about the Bay and Delta: An activity and resource guide; 2nd edition, available from the San Francisco Estuary Institute, (510) 286-0460 for $ 20
- J Rousemaniere The Annapolis Book of Seamanship, Simon and Schuster: New York, ISBN 0-671-67447-1.
- P M Royce Royce’s Sailing Illustrated Delta Lithograph: Valencia CA, ISBN 0-911284-00-1.
- David Seidman, The Complete Sailor, International Marine: Camden ME, ISBN 0-07-057131-7. March 21, 1998
Teacher’s discussion area
A future plan for this website includes providing teachers a forum for discussions regarding Pegasus sails.
We would appreciate any input you have for additions, suggestions for ease of use, related web sites you have used, etc.
As you look over this material and sail aboard Pegasus, keep in mind the potential boats offer as a teaching tool. As crew working with students on board, we often find ourselves answering questions that turn into “painless” discussions on physics, geography, etc. that can be easily transferred to the class room. Since a boat on a voyage must be completely self-sustaining, it functions much like a small city. For the student and teacher it lends itself well to discussions and exercises on:
- Physics – onboard energy production (solar, wind, diesel to electric ), energy conservation, aerodynamics (sail shape), hydrodynamics, leverage, mechanics,…
- Life Skills – teamwork, leadership, self-reliance, confidence building,…
- Biology, oceanography, waste management, meteorology, astronomy (navigation), materials science, music, folklore,…the possibilities are endless!
Thank you for your participation in the Virtual Voyage.
Virtual Voyage Home | Pegasus Home